Skip to Content

Daily Mail / ITV News March Political Poll

Voting intention poll for the Daily Mail / ITV News


With just weeks to go until polling day, the first in of a new series of ComRes voting intention polls for the Daily Mail and ITV News shows Labour and the Conservatives at level pegging on 35% of the vote each. Since the last ComRes telephone poll in February, the two main parties have squeezed their smaller counterparts, with Labour up three percentage points and the Conservatives up one. This represents the highest combined two-party vote share since September 2013. Individually, it is Labour’s highest share for six months and the Conservatives’ highest since November 2012.

UKIP sees its vote share fall three points to 10%, the lowest in a ComRes phone poll in more than a year (December 2013). It also reflects a relatively rapid decline for the party, falling from their peak of 19% as recently as last October.

The Liberal Democrats remain on 8%, with the Greens on 7%.

Con       35% (+1) 

Lab        35% (+3)         

LD         8% (NC)

UKIP      10% (-3)

Green     7% (-1)

Others   6% (NC)

Exactly half (50%) of voters already choosing a party say they may still change their mind about who to vote for ahead of the General Election on May 7th, while 50% say that they have definitely made up their mind who to vote for (50%).

The poll also reveals that David Cameron and George Osborne hold the lead over their Labour counterparts on the economy, not only when it comes to who would make the country better off but who would make them personally better off. While, 45% of Britons think the British economy would be better off under Cameron and Osborne, compared to a third (34%) who think the same of Ed Miliband and Ed Balls, more also think their family’s financial situation would be better off under the Conservative pair, compared to 33% who think the same of Miliband and Balls.

Britons are also more likely to think that George Osborne would make a better a Chancellor than Ed Balls (42% George Osborne, 32% Ed Balls).

Although two in five adults think the state of the British economy has improved since 2010 (40%), people are more likely to think their family’s financial situation is worse now than five years ago (33% worse, 24% better).

More than half of the public support the Chancellor’s policy announced in the budget last week for people with annuities being able to cash them in and receive the money all at once (54%). 35% oppose the change.

Findings in detail:

Q: Do you think each of the following are better or worse now than they were in 2010?


Better Worse About the same Don’t know
The state of the British economy 40% 30% 28% 2%
My family’s financial situation 24% 33% 43% 1%

Base: All GB adults (n=1,001).


Q: For each of the following, do you think they would be better off under David Cameron and George Osborne or under Ed Miliband and Ed Balls?

Cameron & Osborne Miliband & Balls Don’t know
The British economy 45% 34% 21%
My family’s financial situation 43% 33% 24%
Future of the country 42% 35% 23%

Base: All GB adults (n=1,001).


Q: For each of the following pairs of statements, which comes closest to your own view?

Option 1 % % Option 2 Don’t know
David Cameron would make a better Prime Minister than Ed Miliband 49% 33% Ed Miliband would make a better Prime Minister than David Cameron 18%
George Osborne would make a better Chancellor than Ed Balls 42% 32% Ed Balls would make a better Chancellor than George Osborne 26%

Base: All GB adults (n=1,001).


Q: It used to be that when you retired your pension was used to buy an annuity which gave you monthly income for the rest of your life. In the budget last week, the Chancellor made it possible for people with annuities to cash them in and receive the money all at once. Do you support or oppose this change?

Support 54%
Oppose 35%
Don’t know 12%

Base: All GB adults (n=1,001).


Q: Have you definitely decided the party you will vote for at the General Election or may you still change your mind?

Definitely decided 50%
May still change my mind 50%

Base: All GB adults likely to vote and giving a voting intention (n=812).


Q: How important, if at all, will each of the following be in helping you decide who to vote for?

  The TV debate between the Party leaders The party manifestoes Leaflets and campaign materials I receive from the parties The party with the leader I think will make the best Prime Minister
Net: Important 45% 73% 35% 77%
Net: Not important 54% 26% 64% 21%
Very important 17% 35% 10% 40%
Fairly important 28% 38% 26% 37%
Not very important 25% 14% 32% 11%
Not at all important  29%  12%  32%  11%
Don’t know  1%  1%  1%  1%

Base: All GB adults (n=1,001).





Date Published: 25th March 2015

Categories: Economy | GE2015 | Personal Finance | Politics | UK | Voting Intention

Client: Daily Mail / ITV News


ComRes interviewed 1,001 GB adults by telephone between 20th and 22nd March 2015. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults. Data were also weighted by past vote recall. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

  1. ITV-News-Daily-Mail-Political-Poll_FINAL_March-2015 0.02 MB.

View Press and Polls

Read More