Survey of 773 members of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on the impact of the EU on their business, and their views on the upcoming EU referendum.
A new poll of CBI members highlights that a majority believe that the UK remaining a member of the EU would be in the best interest for their business.
The survey found that:
- 80% of CBI members believe that the UK remaining a member of the EU would be best for their business.
- 5% say it is in their firms’ best interests for the UK to leave the EU, with 15% unsure.
- 77% of CBI member organisations say that remaining in the EU would be in the best interest of the wider UK economy, while 6% say that leaving the EU would be in the best interest of the UK economy.
- CBI member organisations that operate inside the EU (excluding the UK) are more likely to say that a ‘remain’ result is in their best interest than those who do not – 83% against 76%.
Date Published: 15/03/2016
Categories: Business | Economy | Economy | Elections | EU Referendum | Europe | Opinion Formers | Politics | Professionals | UK
Client: The Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
ComRes conducted a survey of 773 CBI member organisations online between 22nd February and 7th March 2016. The results as shown in the weighted data tables reflect the views of the CBI’s member organisations as a whole.
ComRes used the CBI’s membership database to draw the sample for the study – respondents were the most senior available membership contact from each organisation, with job titles typically being the Chief Executive, Managing Director, Chairman / Chairwoman or Director of Policy. Each member organisation was sent a unique online link to the survey and ComRes only allowed one response per member organisation. No monetary or other incentives were offered for participation.
The survey has been weighted to be fully representative of the CBI’s membership by class of membership, size of organisation and region. Due to success during fieldwork in using a quota-based approach, this weighting has had only a very minor impact on the final results. The quota targets and weighting criteria were based on information from the CBI’s membership database.
ComRes conducts all of its research in accordance with the Market Research Society Code of Conduct and abides by British Polling Council rules.
- CBI_Membership-Survey_Full-Data-Tables_14March-2016_Weighted 0.01 MB.
- CBI_Membership-Survey_Full-Data-Tables_14March-2016_Unweighted 0.01 MB.
Survey of 773 members of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on the impact of the EU on their business, and their views on the upcoming EU referendum