A survey of GB adults on their views on plastic surgery/cosmetic procedure(s).
- Two in five women say that reality TV shows and social media have had a negative effect on the way they see their body (42%), compared to one quarter of men (26%). The overall figure is 35% but this figure rises to three in five for 18-24 year olds (61%).
- One quarter of British adults have had or know someone who has had plastic surgery or a cosmetic procedure (26%).
- Women are more likely than men to have had or know someone who has had plastic surgery or a cosmetic procedure (31% of women vs. 20% of men).
- British adults from the North East are significantly more likely to have had or know someone who has had plastic surgery or a cosmetic procedure (38%) than overall British adults (26%).
- For one quarter of British adults, reality TV shows like Love Island or The Only Way is Essex make them less likely to consider having plastic surgery or a cosmetic procedure(s) (25%). However, for one in five 18-24 year olds, reality TV shows make them more likely to consider it (21%) compared to only 3% of 45-54 year olds.
- Over three quarters of British adults agree that people who have plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures are overly concerned with their appearance (76%).
- Nearly four in five British adults who have had plastic surgery or a cosmetic procedure disagree with the statement ‘I have had plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures but I regret it’ (78%).
- Women are far more likely than men to agree that plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures are fine in principle but would be worried they could go wrong (77% of women vs. 65% of men).
- A third of 18-34 year olds would consider plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures (35%), compared to less than one in ten 55+ year olds (9%).
- Three quarters of British adults who have had plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures say that they are really pleased with the results (74%).
Date Published: 31/07/2018
Categories: GB | Health | Media | Public and communities | Social
Client: BBC Radio Five Live
ComRes surveyed 2,020 British adults online between 27th and 29th July 2018. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults by age, gender and region. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.