Coronavirus daily tracker: April 23rd 2020
Approval ratings for the NHS remain high at 82%, yet two in five (42%) think the Government is not doing enough to support them – the highest proportion who have said this since 19th March.
Women more worried than men about the impact of COVID-19.
Likewise, a similar proportion say that the Government is not doing enough to support both the self-employed (41%) and small businesses (40%).
A tough weekend for the UK Government has continued into this week, with its approval rating dropping to 30%, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s approval rating falling 3 pts to 27%.
This also extends beyond politicians, with Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty’s approval rating also tumbling over recent weeks, down from a high of 64% on 27th March to 45% now.
Lowest levels since 22nd March saying they are self-isolating
Only around a third (35%) of UK adults say that they are currently self-isolating. This is this lowest figure we have recorded since the day before lockdown (22nd March) and down 16 pts from a high of 51% on 30th March.
Women are more likely than men to say that they are self-isolating (38% vs 32%), while those aged 16-34 (38%) and those aged 55+ (38%) are also more likely to say this than those aged 35-54 (31%).
Just over one in ten UK adults (13%) say that they have been furloughed on 80% pay, while an additional 5% say that they have been furloughed on 80% pay but that their employer is topping up the remaining 20%.
Those aged 55+ are significantly less likely to say that they have been furloughed on 80% pay than those aged 16-34 (7% vs 16%).
Nearly two in five (19%) of those in Scotland say they have been furloughed on 80% pay, higher than anywhere else in the UK and 6 pts higher than those who say the same in London (13%).
Women more worried than men about the impact of COVID-19
Levels of worry about COVID-19 remains high amongst UK adults with almost half (49%) saying that they are either very worried (32%) or the most worried they have ever been (17%).
Women are more likely than men to say that they are either very worried (34% vs 30%) or the most worried they have ever been (21% vs 13%) about COVID-19.
UK adults aged 55 and over (60%) are twice as likely as those aged 16-34 (30%) or 35-54 (30%) to say that their disposable income has not been affected by COVID-19.
A month after we entered lockdown, the net personal impact on mental health has dropped to a low of -27%, while job security has also dropped two pts since yesterday, down to -20%.
We will be updating our coronavirus tracker daily and weekly as this unprecedented pandemic unfolds. Please get in touch for more information