Skip to Content

ITV News Index

ComRes interviewed the British public on behalf of ITV.

Date Published: 14 Dec 2012

Categories: Economy | Policy Makers | Politics | Retail & Consumer | UK


New poll: just one in five “optimistic” that Autumn Statement will deliver economic growth

Only one in five people thinks the Chancellor’s Autumn Statement last week ‘will succeed in accelerating economic growth’ according to the latest ITV News Index conducted by ComRes.  The 22% who report optimism are well outnumbered by the 46% who disagree, with a further 32% who declined to offer a view.

The economic gloom is reflected in public perceptions of George Osborne following last week’s Statement: just 21% said it improved their perceptions of the Chancellor, but 48% disagree and 31% don’t know.

Many of the public are also unconvinced by Mr Osborne’s parting shot in his Autumn Statement speech, that when it when it comes to sharing the economic pain of spending cuts and tax increases ‘we are all in it together’: 43% disagree, 37% agree and 20% do not know.

The poll also found consumer spending this Christmas is unlikely to see any improvement on last year (see below).

The one more positive finding in the poll was some support for Mr Osborne’s announcement to limit increases in most welfare benefits to 1%.  More agree than disagree with this but not a majority; 44% to 33% agree and 23% don’t know.

The lack of economic growth has had a clear impact on public perceptions of the Chancellor and Coalition Government, with no improvement in confidence as shown below:

I am confident that the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, is making the right decisions for the UK economy

  28/11/11 10/12/12
Agree 25% 25%
Disagree 46% 44%
Don't know 29% 30%

The Coalition Government has the right policies to ensure the British economy grows

  28/11/11 10/12/12
Agree 27% 25%
Disagree 46% 44%
Don't know 27% 32%

The country’s economic performance is also reflected in plans for consumer spending this year, with almost exactly the same proportion as last year intending to spend more, the same and less than they did last year.  Women are the more frugal gender, with 46% compared to 33% of men who plan to spend less this year.

Will you spend more, less or the same on Christmas this year compared to last year?

  20/12/10 04/12/11 10/12/12
More 12% 12% 11%
The same 48% 47% 45%
Less 36% 39% 39%
Don't know 3% 2% 5%

METHODOLOGY NOTE: ComRes interviewed 2,051 adults online from 7th to 9th December 2012. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all British adults aged 18+. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.


View Polls

Read More